Meghan Markle Admits Her British Friend Warned Her About Tabloids But Says ‘I Thought It Would Be Fair’
Nov 08, 2019
In October, Britain’s ITV released a documentary about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s African tour, titled “Harry & Meghan: An African Journey,” for which the royal couple invited journalists to follow them on their 10-day journey in the southern part of the continent.
The documentary saw both the Sussexes get raw and honest about their personal struggles with the scrutiny they’ve come under by British tabloids, which prompted them to seek legal action earlier this month.
In an interview featured in the documentary, Prince Harry declared he would “not be bullied into playing the game” he believes lead to the tragic death of his mother Diana, Princess of Wales.
"I will not be bullied into playing a game that killed my mum," he said, as quoted by ABC Australia. "Everything that she went through and what happened to her is incredibly raw every single day, and that is not being me being paranoid. That is just me not wanting a repeat of the past."
The Duke of Sussex got candid about his ongoing struggle with the media, admitting that the death of his mother is still a “wound that festers” 22 years later.
“I think being part of this family, in this role and this job, every single time I see a camera, every time I hear a click, every single time I see a flash, it takes me straight back,” Prince Harry said.
“So with that respect, it’s the worse reminder of her life as opposed to the best,” he added.
Meghan Markle also opened up about her own struggles when dealing with the invasive British press, saying, “it’s hard.”
Photo by Chris Jackson/Chris Jackson/Getty Images
“I don't think anybody can understand that, but in all fairness I had no idea, which probably sounds difficult to understand here,” she admitted, “but when I first met my now-husband my friends were really happy because I was so happy, but my British friends said to me, ‘I'm sure he's great but you shouldn't do it because the British tabloids will destroy your life’."
Earlier this month, the Duchess of Sussex launched legal action against UK based media Associated Newspapers, citing the “misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of the Data Protection Act 2018” as their claims against the publishers.
Her husband the Duke of Sussex immediately released a statement towards the public condemning the “ruthless campaign” against his wife by the British tabloid press, drawing comparisons to his late mother Diana, Princess of Wales.Photo by Gotham/GC Images/Getty Images
What do you think about the Sussexes opening up about their struggles? Let us know in the comments - and make sure you pass this along to your friends and family!