Local Dog Hailed A Hero After Rescuing Owner From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Dec 28, 2021 by apost team

There’s a saying that a dog is a man’s best friend, and time and again, they’ve shown that they really are – plus so much more. They’re always there for their owners in times of joy, sadness and everything in between. In late December 2021, a dog in Iowa not only proved that she is an essential part of the family but also that she is a prime example of what it means to be a hero.

Roxy, a husky and coonhound mix, noticed something was wrong one night as an alarm sounded throughout the house she lived in with her owner, Brad Harbert, and his family. As the alarm continued to chirp repeatedly, Roxy did her best to wake up Harbert, alerting him of the potential danger that lingered in their home.

This wasn’t typical behavior for Roxy, as she was usually pretty mild-mannered and well-behaved. When Habert felt the dog jump on his bed over and over again while she barked loudly, he knew that something must have been seriously wrong.

It turned out that the family’s carbon monoxide detector was going off, indicating that there was, in fact, carbon monoxide in the air in the house. The odorless gas is harmful when breathed in and can even be deadly in some cases.

After making sure that everyone was safe, Harbert hurriedly ushered his family outside of their home in Ankeny, Iowa, all thanks to the heroic actions of the beloved family pet. Read on to find out more about this courageous pup and how she saved her loved ones.

Be sure to reach the end of this article to see the full video :-) 

On Dec. 20, 2021, Harbert, his son and his father all quickly exited their home in Ankeny to keep them safe from potential carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the New York Post. Roxy, who Harbert described as “mild-mannered,” woke him up, alerting him that something was wrong. “She was just jumping off my bed, jumping back up on the bed,” Harbert said. “When I started to come to, I was hearing an alarm, and it wasn’t the smoke alarm.”

Harbert continued, “I jumped out of bed. Right when I did, Roxy came out to the hallway… I grabbed the (carbon monoxide) detector and found out that if it chirps four times… there’s active carbon monoxide in the house.” Carbon monoxide has the potential to be deadly, so it’s important to take proper precautions to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, such as installing a carbon monoxide detector and getting your heating and gas-burning appliances serviced every year, according to the CDC.

After getting himself, his son, his father and Roxy outside, Harbert called 911. According to the New York Post, officials determined that the odorless gas leak came from the home’s electric and gas fireplace. Fortunately, Roxy had managed to save her family from any potential hazards or danger — something that Harbert is eternally grateful for.

“She can tell something was wrong that night when she woke me up and just her actions, she was kind of shivering and just really concerned that we would get outside,” he said. “(I’m) very, very happy to have a dog and very happy to have her.”


What do you think about this amazing dog and her heroic actions? Do you have a family pet that you’re grateful for? Let us know, and be sure to pass this along to your family members and friends, too.

Please scroll below for more stories :-)