Clarence House Gives Update After Prince Charles Tests Positive For Coronavirus Earlier This Week

Prince Charles, 71, tested positive for coronavirus earlier this week and is currently self-isolating in his home in Scotland. But according to a new Clarence House update, the heir to the throne resumed work on Thursday, conducting meetings via video chat and responding to messages over email.

WPA Pool/Getty Images News/Getty Images

According to The Guardian, a spokesperson for Clarence House made a statement earlier this week revealing Prince Charles has tested positive for the deadly virus. As of Thursday, a spokesperson for the heir to the throne updated the press, adding that the prince has resumed work at his Birkhall desk, according to BirminghamLiveThat includes taking calls and responding to email.

"The general plan is the prince will continue maintaining a diary of work but it will be done through telephone calls and digital conferencing," a source told BirminghamLive.

The Clarence House spokesperson also said that since receiving the positive test results, the Prince has received hundreds of "get well soon" messages both digitally and in the mail.

The Prince is said to be experiencing "mild symptoms" at the moment but is otherwise in “good health.” The 71-year-old is considered high risk for the illness due to his age.

apost.com

Chris Jackson / Chris Jackson Collection /Getty Images

The spokesperson also revealed yesterday that Charles and his wife, Camilla, are currently self-isolating in their home in Scotland. Camilla is said to have tested negative for the virus. 

“The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing,” the spokesperson said.

“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”

Tim P. Whitby/ Getty Images Entertainment/ Getty Images

According to The Telegraph, Prince Charle's last public engagement was carried out on March 12, at the Australian Bushfire dinner in London, but he is understood to have had multiple private meetings with Highgrove and Duchy individuals who have since been notified of the Prince's diagnosis. Clarence House further stated that it is unclear how Charles had come into contact with the virus as the Prince comes into contact with many individuals from around the world due to the nature of his job.

Staff at his Birkhall home in Scotland are also currently self-isolating. The World Health Organization says the incubation period for patients with Coronavirus can last up to a fortnight.

The Guardian reports that Buckingham Palace announced that the Queen, who reportedly last saw the Prince on March 12, remains in good health and is "following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare."

We hope Prince Charles makes a speedy recovery.

For more information on Coronavirus and how to stay safe, you can visit the World Health Organization's website or the Center for Disease Control.