A New Breakfast Classic For You To Try Out - Biscuits And Gravy Casserole
If you're from the South, just hearing the words "biscuits and gravy" is all it takes to get your mouth watering. And if your taste buds have never gotten to partake of this stick-to-your-ribs Southern classic, they're missing out on one of life's great pleasures. But this recipe takes it up a country notch by making the time-honored favorite into a CASSEROLE! Pure genius!
To make this crowd pleaser, you'll need:
- Biscuit dough (two cans of refrigerated dough OR an equal amount of homemade dough)
- 1 lb. of ground breakfast sausage
- 2 tbsp . of oil or butter
- 4 tsp of all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut half the biscuits into quarters. Place in a greased 9" X 13" dish, and bake as directed on the can or biscuit recipe used to make the dough.
- While the biscuits bake, brown the sausage, and then add the oil or butter.
- To make the gravy, in a small bowl, combine the flour with seasonings.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the sausage.
- Stir and cook on low until the flour mixture is absorbed. Slowly pour the milk over the sausage mixture.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer, and continue to stir frequently for about five minutes to thicken.
- Finally, pour the sausage gravy over the cooked biscuits, and place the other half of the dough on top.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or according to your biscuit dough directions.
That's it! Set this bubbling dish of country goodness on the table, and get ready to watch the forks fly. Everyone will ask how you made it. Be sure to give us your two cents about this recipe. And don't forget to send the recipe to your loved ones!