11 Shocking Facts That Will Persuade You To Stop Biting Your Nailsadroach / iStock / thinkstock
Chewing nails is a terrible and widespread habit. Studies show that 60% of people chew their nails at some point in their life. Besides broadcasting your anxiety to the world, little is known about the consequence of chewing nails on one's health. Ever thought about what happens to your gums and teeth?
Before you rush headlong into this article, let us warn you! Brace yourself for these facts are going to shock you! The facts listed below will persuade you to give up this habit for good!
1. An open invitation to bacterial infections into your body. No kidding!Denis Rozhnovsky / iStock / thinkstock
However hard you may try you can never really get your fingernails clean and as a result, they are a breeding ground for all kinds of bacteria. Chewing on your nails means chewing on the bacteria stuck beneath your nails and opening the door for skin, gum, teeth and throat infections. Reason enough to stop the gross habit! Right?
5. Are you wearing braces? Then don't be stupid and ruin everything!Toa55 / iStock / thinkstock
Wearing braces is painful both physically and emotionally. So, if you are going through that already, do yourself a favour and stop chewing your nails. Because the bacteria that you take in can increase the chances of your brace breaking.
6. You'll probably end up with awful gums!Fuse / iStock / thinkstock
Your nails can get stuck in your gums and it can get really gross. It may even lead to gingival swelling which can be VERY painful! Do you really want to risk going through all that pain because you can't manage to keep your fingers out of your mouth?
7. You will end up with smelly breath!Slawomir Tkacz / iStock / thinkstock
When your mouth turns into a breeding ground for bacteria and your teeth and gums are infected you will literally be left with a bad taste in your mouth and a stinky breath that will keep lovers away! Don't moan later because we'll only say that we told you so!
8. You are only creating more problems for yourself!Kondor83 / iStock / thinkstock
You are not just chewing your nails! You are also chewing on the skin around the nails. And this can lead to infections that can turn very ugly! Look at the picture above! This happens when bacteria get into an open wound. It looks like you've got Finger- Herpes. It can be treated medically but sometimes it also needs surgery.
9. Biting nails can cause blisters on your face and lips!apichsn / iStock / thinkstock
You are spreading the infection all over your pretty face! While it is rare, it is still believed that nail biting can lead to herpes.
10. Nail polish is toxic and should not be eaten!Flufi / iStock / thikstock
You can't even begin to imagine the number of toxins and chemicals your nail paint contains. Some are known to contain Formaldehyde - that's the stuff used to embalm corpses. So, despite this if you till do decide to paint your nails then do so but then also keep them far, far away from your mouth!
11. And finally! Bidding farewell to your nails!adroach / iStock / thinkstock
If you can't care for your nails then you can say goodbye to them. Because they won't be coming back anytime soon. And you might end up with ugly fingers that have no nails.
Have we managed to persuade you to kick your habit? Do you have a friend or a family member who totally annoys you with this gross habit? Then be sure to share this with your friends and family so they too can kick this habit!
2. The biting and chewing only helps breed more bacteria!Janice Richard / iStock / thinkstock
Statistics reveal that 76% of Fingernail chewers, yeah, let's just call them that, carry around bacterias that make one prone to nausea and loose motions. Ever heard of Escherichia Coli?! It is as gross as it sounds. Now, stop getting anxious and for heaven's sake stop biting your nails! IMMEDIATELY!
3. Biting nails ruins your teeth!Adam88xx / iStock / thinkstock
Dental experts insist that biting nails can cause your teeth to shift out of their proper position. You'll be lucky if don't end up with a crazy shaped jaw and even if you do there is still no protecting your teeth from fractures and chipping.
4. Fingernail chewers are prone to teeth grinding!BackyardProduction / iStock / thinkstock
Anxious people bite nails and this can lead to an unconscious grinding of teeth especially at night. Do we have to detail the kind of damage that will do or you'd rather not know?!